1/2 package phyllo pastry
(about 8 sheets for the top and 8 sheets at the bottom)
250 gr. Farfalle (bow tie pasta)
300 gr. Feta cheese
4-5 tablespoons parsley
4 eggs (save one of the egg yolks for the top)
1.5 cups milk
3/4 cup cooking oil
Large size pan (10.5 inch x 14.75 inch x 2.25 inch)
- I found not every bow tie pasta is the same in thickness. Thinner versions are better for this recipe. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and let it cool.
- Separate 1 yolk from the eggs. Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl until they are blended together.
- Divide the sauce in half. One half will be used to wet the dough the other half will be mixed into the pasta.
- Crumple the feta cheese and mix with cleaned but dry chopped parsley
- Mix pasta, 1/2 the sauce, feta and parsley all together in a big bowl.
- Divide the package of phyllo pastry in half. Only use the half for this recipe. If you wrap it well, you can freeze the rest for another time. So, you need 1/4 package phyllo pastry for the bottom and 1/4 for the top.
- Spray the bottom of the pan so it does not stick to the bottom.
- Line the bottom of the pan with 2 sheets of phyllo pastry. If it is too big for the pan, just squeeze it in. Put 4-5 tablespoon of the sauce. Make sure the pastry is soaked well. Continue until the bottom half of the dough is used. You should use 1/4 of the sauce for this.
- You'll need to do the same for the top half so save 1/4 of the sauce.
- Pour the Pasta and Feta mix in the pan
- Top with the remaining dough 2 sheets at a time pouring some of the sauce in between to soak the pastry. Save about 5 tablespoons of the sauce for the very top layer and mix with previously saved egg yolk.
- Cook at 350 until the top is golden brown. Aprox. 35 to 45 minutes