3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup warm milk
2 teaspoons quick dry yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
50 gr unsalted melted butter
2 eggs (save the yolk of 1 for the glaze)
Chocolate Cake Filling
3 cups chocolate cake or cupcakes (pre- made)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg yolk
- Mix together Flour, yeast, and sugar
- Add in melted butter, warm milk and egg
- Make a soft dough
- Cover and let it rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Knead the dough once more
- Separate dough in 9 equal pieces. Cover and let it rest until you have the filling ready.
- If you are intending to make it plain, you can shape it at this time. I "braid" the dough. From each of the 9 pieces, you can further separate 3 pieces to roll out to 3 "sticks" and braid them. Once ready, you can let it rest for 30 minutes. Glaze and sprinkle blackened sesame seeds before cooking.
- Prepare the filling by pouring the milk into a pot. Add all of the other ingredients and cook until thickens. Cool
- Once ready, take each piece and flatten to oval shape. Put some filling in the middle and roll it to cover. Make sure the seam is in the bottom. Give it a crescent shape on the lined pan. Glaze with egg yolk and sprinkle almond slices.
- Cook at 350 until golden brown. For the cake filled ones, you can melt chocolate and drizzle over them once they are cooled.