Saturday, October 2, 2010

ORANGE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE

I thought of making a cake with chocolates and oranges after eating a orange chocolate bar the other day.  It also gave me the opportunity to use a chocolate sauce I saw in a German recipe book.  The recipe book stated if you melt chocolate chips in coconut milk, it made it shiny and more presentable.  After trying it, I see that it is true.  From now on, I am making my chocolate sauce with coconut milk.


1 package orange cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 orange (skin for the cake and juice to pour on the cake)

Decorations
2/3 cups chocolate chips
1/3 cup coconut milk (or regular milk)
Candies
  • Wash and grade the orange skin using the thick part of the grader
  • Juice the orange and set aside
  • Prepare the cake according to package instructions.  In my case, it called for 3 eggs, 1 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil.  I added the graded orange skin. Add the cake flour
  • Pour into a non stick (or spray the pan with vegetable oil) cake pan
  • Cook at 350 35 to 40 minutes.  When you insert a toothpick into the middle, it must come out clean
  • Let it cool
  • While still in the pan, make deep holes using a wood skewer or fork.  Pour orange juice over the cake.  Be careful not to get to the edges as juice makes it stick to the pan and makes it hard to take the cake out of the pan.  I covered and left the cake in the fridge overnight to make sure orange juice soaked well into the cake
  • Prepare your chocolate sauce.  Put chocolate and the coconut milk into a microwave safe bowl.  Heat at high for 30 seconds and mix well. 
  • Pour chocolate sauce over the cake.  I covered all of the cake with it but it is also nice if it is just on the top of the cake
  • Decorate with colourful candies.

No comments:

Post a Comment