Monday, January 2, 2012

OVEN ROASTED CHESTNUTS

Chestnuts are often used in rice and other dishes in Turkey but roasted chestnuts are likely everyone's favorite.  They are often roasted on an open fire.  Sold in the streets in a code shaped newspaper.  Chestnuts always remind me my childhood vacations with my grandmother in Izmir.  Livingroom of her house had a huge window with the view of the ocean.  She also had an indoor mangal (barbeque) in her house.  She not only roasted chestnuts on it but also made her Turkish coffee on her little barbeque.  She was very fond of her coffee.  It had to be freshly ground (in a hand grinder) just before the coffee is made.  People tell me I look just like her.  I guess I am like her in more ways then just looks :-)


All you need for this is chestnuts (as much as you like) and water
  • Soak the chestnuts in water for 30 minutes to soften them
  • Make a small cut in each one (make sure the cut is pretty deep)
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Cook for 45 minutes
  • Cool, peel and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment