Saturday, May 5, 2012

TURKISH SHORTBREAD COOKIES (UN KURABIYESI)

Translation of Un Kurabiyesi is: Flour Cookies.  I've been meaning make these cookies for a very long time simply because I missed them so much.  I don't make them often because of the calories but I have to tell you, they are absolutely worth it.

 250 gr unsalted butter (1 cup)
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup corn starch
2/3 cup icing sugar
1 package vanilla (2 teaspoons)
3.5 cups flour
  • Cream butter and oil together.  I left the butter at room temperature overnight.  It was so soft that I did not need a mixer.  I used a fork.
  • Add corn starch, icin sugar and vanilla
  • Add flour a little at a time to get a soft tough.  Dough does crumble a bit.  You need to make sure it sticks together by hand.  Set aside to rest for 10 minutes
  • Split the dough into 6 equal parts
  • Make a roll with each piece of dough using your hands.  Be careful with the crumbs just stick them together by hand
  • Cut each piece into 5 cookies
  • Put on a lined cookie sheet
  • Pierce with a fork
  • Preheat oven to 325
  • Cook until the edges turn pink.  In my oven it took 20 minutes
  • Cool and sprinkle with icing sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment