Mousakka has many varieties. Some have potatos others don't. Some have yogurt or milk etc. This is a basic recipe.
2 large eggplants
1/4 cup olive oil
1 kg. ground beef or lamb
1 teaspoon allspice (or cinnamon)
1 medium sized onion
1 large (800 gr) canned crushed tomatos
1/4 cup thinly sliced parsley (optional)
2 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons flour
1.5 cup milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Wash and dry the eggplants. Slice them thinly
- Preheat oven at 350
- Lay the sliced eggplants on a pan single layer, brush with half the oil. Turn them over and brush the other side with oil. Cook until they are soft.
- In a separate pan cook chopped onion and ground meat until the meat is browned and separated.. Add salt, allspice and cook at low heat until all the juice is gone.
- Spray a small glass pan and layer eggplant, ground meat and curshed tomato then another layer of eggplant. Last layer must always be eggplant. Some people have multiple layers but I prefer a single layer.
- Prepare the top layer by melting the butter in a pan. Add in the flour. Cook flour until the color changes to brown. Add in milk and continue to cook making sure flour is mixed through without lumps. Add in the egg making sure to continually stir. Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the last layer in your pan
- Sprinkle all the cheese
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes
- Let it rest for half hour after its cooked before serving