Sunday, January 3, 2010

LEEK


Leek is an acquired taste for most people. I know lots of people who hated it as a child but really enjoyed it in adulthood. It has always been my favorite especially in hot summer days because it is served cold and it is light. I always add some lemon juice on this dish on my plate before I eat because I like the added lemon flavor.

Leek(1 bunch normally contains 3 leeks)
1 onion (chopped)
6 tablespoons oil
1 tomato
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons rice
1 carrot
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup water

  • Clean leeks well as they tend to keep mud and sand between the leaves. I usuallu slice the white part until I get to the green leafy part. Then I separate all of the leaves and wash between them. I also leave the chopped up leek in water for 30 minutes to an hour. I take them out of the water by hand and run water through them once more before using.
  • Chop onions, carrots, and the tomato and set aside
  • Put oil in the bottom of a pan and add onions. Cook onions a little then add leek and carrots and fry them together just a little. Add chopped tomatos.
  • Combine water, sugar, salt, tomato paste and mix them well. Add to leek
  • Add in rice
  • Bring to boil in a covered pot. Reduce heat and cook until leek and the carrots are soft. Usually about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment